Upgrading VMware Cloud Director from 9.7 to 10.1
I wanted to share my experience of a recent upgrade of VMware Cloud Director from 9.7 to 10.1. Forgive me for not having pictures, I decided to do this after the fact.
I was using the 9.7 appliance with the embedded PostgreSQL DB. This allowed me to move to the Cloud Director 10.1 with the same embedded DB.
During the upgrade of the VMware Cloud Director appliance deployment, the VMware Cloud Director service stops working and some downtime can be expected. The downtime depends on the time you need to upgrade each VMware Cloud Director appliance and to run the VMware Cloud Director database upgrade script.
After you apply the upgrade to every VMware Cloud Director appliance and the database upgrade is complete, you must reboot each VMware Cloud Director appliance.
Take a snapshot of the primary VMware Cloud Director appliance.
- Log in to the vCenter Server instance on which resides the primary VMware Cloud Director appliance of your database high availability cluster.
- Navigate to the primary VMware Cloud Director appliance, right-click it, and click Power > Shut Down Guest OS.
- Right-click the appliance and click Snapshots > Take Snapshot. Enter a name and, optionally, a description for the snapshot, and click OK.
- Right-click the VMware Cloud Director appliance and click Power > Power On.
- In a Web browser, log in to the appliance management user interface of a VMware Cloud Director appliance instance to identify the primary appliance, https://appliance_ip_address:5480. Make a note of the primary appliance name. You must use the primary appliance when backing up the database.
- Reset the update repository to point to the VMware Update Repository. Use this command; vamicli update --repo ""
- Check for updates to verify that the VMware Update Repository has the desired upgrade. By default the vamicli command points to the VMware Update Repository. Use this command; vamicli update --check The upgrade release appears as an Available Update. In my case it showed Available 10.1.0.4837 15967253
- Shut down VMware Cloud Director by running the following command: /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/cell-management-tool -u <admin username> cell --shutdown
- Apply the available upgrade. Run this command; vamicli update --install latest
- Repeat Step 3 to Step 5 on each appliance.
- From the primary appliance, back up the VMware Cloud Director appliance embedded database. Run this command; /opt/vmware/appliance/bin/create-db-backup
- From any appliance, run the VMware Cloud Director database upgrade utility. In my case I only have one appliance. Use this command; /opt/vmware/vcloud-director/bin/upgrade
- Reboot each VMware Cloud Director appliance. Run this command; shutdown -r now
After the reboot my upgrade was complete. be sure to note that the site to administer Cloud Director changes in version 10.x the flex ui no longer exists the new link is the following
From here my upgrade was complete. in the documentation there are steps to follow if you upgrade happens to fail. I will post links to the documentation along with a link to the release notes. Be sure to clean up you snapshots after the upgrade is verified.
VMware Cloud Director Documentation
Cloud Director 10.1.0 Release Notes
Whats new in VMware Cloud Director 10.1
Thanks for reading. Good luck with your upgrades!